In order to create and raise money for a personal cause, there are a couple of steps: the invitation, gathering the info we need to send out the payments, and finally actually making the payment.
- You'll need a US address
- You'll also need a US bank account
Step 1: On the Invitation Details page
- On the right side of the "Enter Details" page, look under "Donation Options"
- Under "What cause are you supporting," select "Personal"
If you want to raise money for a US nonprofit, it's easier to use the "Charity" option instead of "Personal." Your guests may receive a tax deduction (depending on their tax situation), they'll get a tax receipt, and payment goes directly to the nonprofit organization.
- You will see several new fields: Category, Fundraiser Name, and Goal. Fill them out and click the "Save" button.
- The Fundraiser Name will be used in several places, including the invitations, so be sure it makes sense! For instance, the on the invitation it will say "Please donate to" and then whatever you enter here.
- If you need to change one of those three fields later, come back to this page and click the "edit" button in the "Donation Options" section.
- Once the donation section and the invitation are saved, your guests can now donate to your personal cause!
- Wait for an email from Pledgeling describing what to do next.
- If it doesn't arrive within a minute or so, search for email for the word "Pledgeling" and include your spam or junk mail folders
Step 2: Account Info for Payments
- The email you receive will have a purple button titled "Create Pledgeling Account" that you must click to go to this next step.
- If you can't find the email, search for email for the word "Pledgeling" and include your spam or junk mail folders
- You do NOT have to create this account in order to start the fundraiser, BUT you must do it within 30 days after the event.
- if you do not create the account, your guests will be refunded for their donations and no other funds will be paid out.
- You'll see a page titled "Sign Up for a Pledgeling account."
- Fill out the information and click the green "Sign Up" button at the bottom of the form.
- You can not change the email address -- it is the one you use for your Evite account.
- Now you'll see your fundraiser dashboard
- There's a notice about setting up a beneficiary and a button labeled "Set up the beneficiary." Click the button!
- The "beneficiary" is the person that we are sending the fund to
- On the next screen, choose who the funds are going to: someone else, or you.
- If you choose "Myself," you'll see a screen asking for your full first and last name, address, date of birth, and last four digits of your SSN. This is required so that our payments processor can comply with several laws and regulations about verifying the identity of people we send funds to. Click the "Update" button when done.
- The next page asks for your bank routing and account number. Click "Update" when done.
- You can find this on the bottom of a printed check, or usually on your online statement.
- the routing number is always nine digits
- the account number is usually ten digits
- if there are four numbers at the end of the line, that is usually the check number -- don't put this on the form.
- You should see "Bank account information updated" in a light green bar near the top of the page. Now you'll also see several more tabs above the purple bar that says "$0.00 raised by 0 people." These new tabs include "Payouts," "Personal Information," and "Bank Information."
- You're ready to get paid!